Berkeley AV FAQs

Who can use our services?

Our services are available to anyone who needs support.  We generally support University of California departments or any organization hosting an event on or near the UC Berkeley campus.

Where do we provide services?

We typically provide support on or near the UC Berkeley campus.  We can also provide support in the Greater Bay Area.

Are there charges associated with our services?

Berkeley AV is a campus recharge organization and we do charge for all of the services we provide.  You can review our rates for our most common service with our Quick Rates page.

We provide discounted rates to UC organizations and affiliates.

Can I reserve equipment without Berkeley AV staff support?

No.  Our equipment is available when our staff is also supporting the event.

How do I request services?

You may use our online form to request services or get a quotation.

Please check our Policies & Guidelines section for more specific information about how our services are managed.

Does Berkeley AV copy or transfer video tapes or DVDs to other formats?  Can you produce a DVD of my event?

Sorry, we no longer offer services for tape and optical disc production or duplication, including Blu-Ray.  However, we can directly deliver high quality master files using cloud-based file storage utitlites like Berkeley Box or bDrive, or publish your content on YouTube.  A popular alternative physical media format is to deliver your video on USB flash drives.  If you still need tape or disc production services, please refer to our list of local vendors

Media Releases & Permissions

Why do I need to submit signed media releases to ETS?

The University of California requires a signed UC Berkley media release form for each presenter appearing in a broadcast program to be on file with ETS before we are authorized to publish video and/or audio of the event. Individuals appearing in multiple events must sign and submit the UC Berkeley media release form for each event in which they appear. ETS is not authorized to release audio or video material to the public until we have received a copy of the signed agreements from all presenters appearing in a broadcast program.  This is not an ETS policy - it is a University of California requirement mandated by the UC Office of Legal Affairs.

Who needs to sign the media release?

Anyone appearing on camera (or on an audio recording) who can be identified must sign the release.  If there is any uncertainty as to whether someone needs to sign a release, it's always best to have a signature. 

Where can I find blank media release forms?

Blank media release forms and other information can be found on the Media Release page.  Please help out your presenter(s) by completing the top part of the form before sending it to them for signature.

How do I submit signed media releases to ETS?

Copies of signed media releases may be sent to ETS via email, fax, or postal service.  Please do not submit original documents.  Email is the most efficient method. .  Please collect all required forms for an event before submitting to ETS.  Document submissions must be validated in order to be processed, therefore, all documents and correspondence should reference the original ETS order number.

What if a presenter refuses to sign the document?

A signed media release is required before we can release a program to the public.  If the presenter wishes to be excluded from the program, we may be able to remove the portions in which they appear, depending upon how much the objecting individual impacts the program as a whole.  Additional editing charges may apply.

Can I just ask the presenter(s) to send an email giving us their permission to publish?

A signed media release is required before we can release a program to the public.  ETS is not authorized to amend legal documents or the procedure for filing media releases.

What if a presenter wants to change the language on the form?

Any changes to the media release form or process must first be cleared through the UC Office of Legal Affairs.  ETS is not authorized to amend legal documents or the procedure for filing media releases.

My presenter is a member of UC Berkeley's faculty/staff.  Does he/she still need to sign a media release?

A signed media release is required before we can release a program to the public.  This applies to all presenters, regardless of their University affiliation.

What if I can't locate the presenter to sign the form?

A signed media release is required before we can release a program to the public.  If the presenter is deceased, the surviving beneficiaries may be authorized to provide permission.  The best practice is to collect signatures before or at an event.

What if the presenter is out of the country?

The media release form provides for electronic signature.  Email, fax, or postal services may be used for correspondence and document transmission.

What if a presenter signs, but later withdraws his/her permission?

If the event has been published, the webcast will have to be removed.  Please send a request to remove the program to BerkeleyAV@berkeley.edu and include the relevant URL(s) in your instructions.  The information you provide will need to be validated, so referencing the original ETS order number will help us to process your request.

I am distributing my program online through a private or unpublished link.  Do I still have to submit media releases?

Technically, no - although there is no guarantee that your trusted viewers won't leak the material.  ETS or the University of California cannot be held liable for any damage or loss as a result of unintended leaks.  If there is ever any uncertainty about whether to get a signature or not, we strongly recommend that you obtain a signature as a precautionary measure.

I am distributing my program on CD/DVD.  Do I still have to submit media releases?

Technically, no.  If you intend to replicate the discs for mass distribution, your replication facility will likely ask you to sign an Intellectual Property Agreement (IPA) which indicates that you have the permission to distribute the material.  If there is ever any uncertainty about whether to get a signature or not, we strongly recommend that you obtain a signature as a precautionary measure.

I want to host this webcast on my department's web server.  Do I still have to submit media releases?

If your department's server is property of the University of California, you are still responsible for collecting and filing signed media releases from all presenters.  However, if the video is not hosted on a distribution channel managed by ETS, you do not need to send the documents to us.

Can I mail or hand-deliver the signed forms to ETS?

To help keep administrative costs down and minimize publishing turnaround times, we prefer documents to be sent in an email attachment.  Fax transmissions, mail, and personal delivery can be accepted, but a minimum $25 processing fee may be added to your order.  Please, do not submit original docuements - only copies.

I want to send my documents electronically, but I don't have a scanner - what should I do?

While documents can be scanned by an outside service, this is rarely convenient.  Instead, snap a photo of the document using your cell phone or digital camera and send the pictures to ETS via email or eFax.  If you have collected signed releases for a video program while at an event, you may ask your videographer to capture images of the documents.  The best way to handle media releases electronically is by downloading and completing the online PDF form.  Digital signature is supported, so the document never needs to be scanned.

Do I need to register with a third-party document services provider or verification service to use digital signatures?

No.  Adobe Acrobat supports digital signature directly in the PDF document.  If you don't already have a digital signature verification file on your computer, Acrobat will guide you through the process to set up a new Digital ID.  Simply click on the signature box, and create a new digital ID (or select an existing one) from the dropdown menu that appears.  You will be prompted to enter some ID information and a password.  You may store your digital ID file on your computer, or for additional security, on a removable flash drive or online storage service like Google Drive or Box.com.  After your digital ID is set up, you will be prompted for the digital ID file and your password whenever you choose to sign a document in this way.

Can I send ETS the original signed media release documents?

No, we do not file or process original documents. 

Do I need to keep copies of the signed media release documents?

The sponsoring department or organization is ultimately responsible for archiving media releases for the programming produced under their name.  In the event of an audit, you may be asked to produce these documents as evidence.

Please check our Media Releases section if you need blank release forms or are ready to submit signed releases.